NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Mountains by Land and By Sea
Name: Michael T.
Date: February 18, 2004

Question:
I am doing a study in my fourth grade class about mountains. I am trying to figure out if mountains form differently in water then they do on land. The question is: If the same equal pressure in applied from under the ground to form a mountain both on land and under the water, which mountain would get taller. Would water effect the forming of the mountain differently than air? Which mountain would get the tallest? The one on land with air, or the one under water?

I have never studied this particular thing, but I would be surprised of water pressure made a difference in this kind of mountain building. The forces required to lift up large sections of the Earth's crust are tremendous, and I think that water over them would not make a difference. Interesting thought, though. I do not know if anyone has figured this out.

Pat Rowe