NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Soil Age
Name: Joshua M.
Date: February 9, 2004

Question:
How old is soil and how long does it take to become soil?

That depends on lots of things, like what is in the soil (composition), humidity, rainfall, plant growth, animals, etc. I don't know where you are, but where I am (Illinois), the soils formed in a vast prairie system after the ice sheets retreated, so it took several thousand years for these soils to form.

Pat Rowe