NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Water Cycle Time
Name: Tauheed S.
Date: November 28, 2002

Question:
I'm producing a radio show on " water scarcity " and came cross an interesting fact that I wanted to confirm. Is it true that it takes 400 years for a drop of water to complete the water cycle?

Tauheed,

The water cycle is actually properly termed the "hydrologic cycle". The average time of the cycle is certainly debatable, because the residency time for water molecules on land can be only days, while for the oceans, polar ice, and glaciers it can be thousands of years. It is possible that water brought to the Earth's surface by volcanoes could be even older, perhaps tens of thousands to millions of years old, as it takes a long time to sub-duct water down through fissures and faults in the Earth to the deep levels from which the lava comes.
Atmospheric Research Section
Environmental Research Division