NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Alstonite Uses
Name: Anonymous
Date: April 23, 2002

Question:
What is the Alstonite mineral used for? Found web sites that give me history and chemical properties but do not know what it is used for.

I was not able to find any commercial uses for "alstonite" (BaCa(CO3)2). However, for your future reference you will find the following web site a valuable resource: http://webmineral.com/index.htm

Like many minerals, alstonite is probably not widely enough distributed in large amounts in the earth's crust to be of commercial value -- but that is just a guess.

You may not find a use--many minerals have collector value only. I suspect this one does not occur in large enough quantities to have a large-scale commercial use. You don't list your age, but if you are working on a school project and have to indicate use, you could write something like "No known use. Collector value only." Ask your teacher if this is acceptable.

Pat Rowe