NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Convection and Earth's Plates
Name: Deborah
Date: April 23, 2002

Question:
I am thrilled to have discovered your site, however my question part dosen't seem to open, nor does most of the site... my question is how, why and or if the convection current has anything to do with plate tectonics.

Deborah,

By well supported information, it appears that the plates of the Earth are driven by the heating of the Earth's interior causing the plasmic flow of molten material in a cycle (eddies). Like heating water in a pan, the hot material rises and cools to sink to the bottom to be reheated along the side of the container. The stirring-like effect is the driving force of the Plate Tectonic Theory.

The cycling effect is caused by the rising heated material and the falling cooled material flowing down away from the center. The energy to move the floating plates of the Earth comes from the cooling material moving under the plates away from the rising heated material. It is a slow process, but it is the driving force of all activity on the surface.

North America at one time was connected to the Africa continent, and since 360 m years ago, the two continents have been moving at about 4cm a year. Convection currents have been responsible for this motion.

Most encyclopedias have diagrams to show this action.

Take care,