NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Ocean Volume
Name: Carrie C.
Date: April 2002

Question:
How much water is contained in the oceans?

About 70% of the earth's surface is covered by water. I found the following numbers but am not sure of their primary source:
V(Atlantic)=355,
V(Pacific)=324,
V(Indian)= 292 [all x 10^6 km^3]. Areas: A(Atlantic)= 106, A(Pacific)= 180,
A(Indian)= 75 [all x 10^6 km^2]. The same source says that: V = A*D, where D is the average depth is a good approximation.

Makes sense, because on the large scale the column of water is a cylinder.

My secondary source is the Reference Tables in "Mathcad" a copyrighted product of MathSoft Inc., Cambridge, MA.

Anonymous