NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Seismogram and Free Oscillation
Name: Po Shu W.
Date: January 2001

Question:
I am looking for a seismogram that has the Earth's free oscillation frequency period indicated on it. Please help.

This is not an easy question because the earth is not a homogeneous body, and different seismic vibration types and sources all travel at different speeds and have different "fingerprints". I believe there is some discussion of seismic activity in either Scientific American or Discover magazine in the last month or two.

If you search on the engine www.google.com terms "seismic vibrations earth" you will find a number of sites that deal with your question at differing levels of sophistication.