NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Convection Current Shape
Name: Stephen Delderfield
Date: 3-24-2001

Question:
In hot liquids convection currents are created. What determines the shape of the circulation? Is it just the shape of the container? If not, is there a formula by which one can model a particular current?

I'm not sure, but I don't think this problem is solved. Convection is turbulent flow and the models for that are pretty nasty mathematically.