NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Geomagnetic Drift (2)
Name: Ed M.
Age: Old

Question:
How does one compare headings on deeds in NJ relative to magnetic north over the period 1878 to today. Some date indicates the drift is as much as 0.15 degrees per year? Thank you for this e-mail.

Ed,

The drift in the magnetic field is significant, as you have alluded to. You could use historical maps to get the information that you need, if they are available or you can use a model, such as GEOMAG, available at www.usgs.gov

Once on the USGS site, do a search for geomag. At the top of the list you should see "Geomag Program Download Form". You can download the most recent program. I'm not sure how far back in time this program will allow you to go. USGS probably also has historical magnetic field maps; you may have to send them an email from their web site to find out more about this.

Atmospheric Research Section
Environmental Research Division

Wow. What a predicament!

I guess that the best thing to do is to call USGS and see if they have any historical information on magnetic declination for the area where you are working. There should be contact information for USGS on their website.

My guess is that you are correct - sloppy surveys.

Atmospheric Research Section
Environmental Research Division