NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Tidal Calculations
Name: Hans

Question:
Is there someone who knows how to calculate the height of high tide, using the basic physics of the solar system I learnt at school?

Hans,

This is a question for an oceanographer with expertise in ocean dynamics. However, I do know that the depth of the water and surface area is important in determining the tidal height as high tide approaches. Sea-bottom characteristics have to be taken into account.

David Cook
Meteorologist at Argonne Nat. Lab.