NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Earth-Sun Distance
Name: David McManic

Question:
My father and I were playing trivial pursuit when this question came up: What month is showing on the calendar when the Earth is nearest the sun?
My dad and I both think that the answer should be December but the answer on the card is January. Please help us settle the debate.

Usually around January 5th (+ or - one day). We are furtherest from the sun around July 3rd. The seasons have nothing to do with the elliptical orbit of the Earth around the sun.

Steve