NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Ammonia Dichromate Volcano
Name: Laura

Question:
I would just like to know a little bit more on the ammonium dicromate volcano. I would like to do this for a science project at school. Could you please give some more information, on amounts and procedures My dad is going to help me on this, so saftey will be of upmost importance

Laura,

This is the most dangerous experiment I can think of to demonstrate a volcano. The chemical Ammonium Dichromate is a known carcinogen and a suspected mutagen. Furthermore, there is a dangerous fire risk as well and the chromium compounds produced from the burning are also know carcinogens. If safety is your concern, you may want to reconsider this experiment.

If you are going to do this anyway, do it outside! with students far from the demonstration.