NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Earth and Moon Rotation
Name: James

Question:
I have read your answer to "How fast does the earth and moon rotate." What is the formula for determining the rotational speed for any given latitude? I would like to use my latitude or one close to it for my students.

For ease of calculation, we will assume that the earth is a perfect sphere. This is a pretty good approximation; the surface IS extremely flat, and the oblateness at the equator is only a factor of about 0.3%.

The formula is
C=2 x Pi x R x Cos((Pi x L)/180)
if you calculate the cosine of an angle in radians (many computer spreadsheets use radians), or
C=2 x Pi x R x Cos(L)
if you calculate the cosine from the angle's measurement in degrees.

In this formula, Pi = 3.1415927..., L is the angle of latitude, and R is the radius of the earth, 6378 km.

James,

This question is related to the one on "Earth Circumference" at different latitudes that I answered a few days ago. The radius (r) of a circle (that is parallel to latitude) at any latitude (assuming the Earth to be a perfect sphere) is the Earth's radius (3963.5 miles) times the cosine of the latitude angle. The circumference at the latitude is then 2 x pi x r. The Earth rotates once per 23 hours, 56 minutes and 4 seconds (approximately 24 hours). By determining circumference at any latitude and dividing it by the time in a day, you get the rotational speed.

Dr. Cook