NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Climate Regions
Name: P.K.A.

Question:
What are the major differences between the temperate deciduous forest regions of North America, the same regions in Northern Europe, and the same regions in Eastern Asia? I'm also concerned about the climate differences between these places due to the varying levels of human impact at these different locations.

I can only speak about the areas that I am familiar with, but having been in northern and temperate Europe and temperate Asia, there is not a large difference in deciduous forest type, although the latitudes at which particular similar species occur does vary some because of differences iin climate. Immigrants from Europe who initially explored and settled in North America's northeastern woodlands found them particularly similar to their own and thus were fairly comfortable (except for a couple of particularly severe winters that the Pilgrims experienced initially - bad timing on when they arrived). Climate variations do occur in these places to a small extent mostly because of human activity, such as changes made in vegetation cover and air pollution (particularly aerosols). It is thought that the slight warming in the Artic and the general cooling trend in mainland China over the last 30-40 years may be caused mostly by the amount and type of aerosols. There are people at Argonne, as well as elsewhere, who are presently looking very closely at these relationships.

Dr. Cook