NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Desalination

Question:
Desalination is being touted as one of the best solutions for providing water as growth continues and sources become depleted in the West. There are numerous desalination plants planned along the coast of California alone. I'm concerned about the long term environmental effects of dumping the concentrated saline brine back into the ocean. Have any studies been done on this in Saudi Arabia or other areas?

Not that I know of. However, I don't think there's much cause for concern, as concentrated brine is not produced. In a desalination plant, a lot of seawater is processed to get a little fresh water, and the effluent is only a tiny bit more saline than the influent.
}
Assistant Director, PG Research Foundation
Darien, IL USA