NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Pollution and Plants
Name: Erica

Question:
Question - If plants, in the presence of light and chlorophyll, carry on photosynthesis at the cellular level to manufacture CHO molecules for energy to grow and plants carry on respiration at teh cellular level in the process of breaking down the CHO for use in the growth process itself, then why is there concern about auto emissions from combustion engines and coal fired factories?

You have some misconceptions which I will try to clear up. But still, I do not full understand what you are asking, so I must ask that you explain in a little more detail what it is that you want to know.

First of all, the photosynthesis reaction basically involves taking water (H2O) and carbon dioxide (CO2) in the presence of light to make glucose (C6H12O6).

6 CO2 + 6 H2O + light --> C6H12O6 + 6O2.

The glucose molecules are used as fuel and as building blocks for all the other processes of the cell.

What I don't understand in your question is why you think this means we shouldn't be concerned with pollution by combustion products. If you explain what you mean, perhaps I could answer your question.

Richard Barrans Jr., Ph.D.
Chemical Separations Group
Chemistry Division CHM/200
9700 South Cass Avenue
Argonne, IL 60439