NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Fossil Fuels and Oil
Name: Roger

Question:
What is the scientific evidence that Crude oil is a fossil fuel, and not a byproduct of the internal forces and elements of the planets? I just cant believe there has been that much organic matter deposited that deep over such a big portion of the planet.

I expect you are aware that oil is a complex hydrocarbon fluid? Where else do you find complex hydrocarbons, except in living materials? It's certainly possible the primeval simple hydrocarbons -- methane, ethane and so forth -- were subjected to some strange, unknown geological process that transformed them into complex hydrocarbons. That is, you could plausibly suggest that complex molecules normally found only in living cells can arise over time from simple molecules through natural geological processes alone, without need for any living Creator.

Grayce