NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Shale vs Slate
Name: Christina

Question:
Hahaha!! Okay. For school, there is this project that we have to do, that we need to write a poem about Shale/Slate. I have no idea what to write because I have no idea what Shale/Slate is!!! I dislike my teacher greatly for this project that she gave us no time for. What info can I use for a poem about Shale/Slate?

Shale is a clastic sedimentary rock composed of silt and clay grains. It is usually rather soft and brittle. Most shale is impermeable which means it doesn't allow water to move through it.

Slate is a metamorphic rock. It used to be shale but it has changed due to metamorphic activity like heat and pressure. Slate is usually very strong and impermeable. It is used in billard/pool tables, as floor tile, as roofing shingles, and traditionally as blackboards/chalkboards.

Steve Miller