NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Title
Name: shirleyd

Question: I would like to find about the different careers in environmental science.

Response #: 1 of 2
Author: Robert Topper
Text: First of all, many different fields are oriented towards environmental problems (or can be); it is up to you to a certain extent to orient yourself in an environmental sort of direction within some fields, like chemistry, oceanography, etc... but off of the top of my head, some fields one could pursue a career in environmental science might include:

-environmental engineering -analytical chemistry -atmospheric chemistry -biochemistry -soil science/soil chemistry -geology/geochemistry -hydrology -biological science -oceanography -paleontology (studying ancient animals' responses to environment). And there must be many more...

I have a good friend who is an environmental engineer. He specializes in air quality control and works for a firm which helps corporations comply with EPA standards and helps train EPA personnel in various aspects of monitoring, as well as many other aspects of the relationship between government and industry with respect to environmental matters. As a chemist, my own prejudice is naturally to tell you that you cannot go wrong no matter what you study, as long as you include courses in analytical, organic, and/or physical chemistry.

Response #: 2 of 2 Author: Don Libby Text: To Robert Topper's list I would add some social science careers. Human ecology is treated by geography, sociology, economics, and environmental law. Environmental psychology studies the effects of the environment on human behavior. There is a growing need for teachers in environmental education. Also, environmental medicine and epidemiology or toxicology might be interesting career choices.