NEWTON Home Page Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week NEWTON Teachers Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Referencing NEWTON Frequently Asked Questions About Ask A Scientist About NEWTON Education At Argonne Measuring Speed and Air Resistance

Name: Jakob
Country: Australia

Question:
We have been asked to investigate the effects of speed on air resistance, and the equipment available is pretty much an open slather, however, low cost would help. we are currently looking at using a balloon attached to a newton scale and driving at varying speeds. The main problem with this is overcoming the air displaced by the car. Is there any way of modifying this procedure to obtain precise data?

Hi Jakob,

Thanks for the question. I will answer your question as best I can with the information given. It would be helpful if you could describe your experiment in more detail.

The quality of data you get will depend on the setup of the experiment. If you do the experiment near the car, you will encounter vortexes and turbulence which will affect the data. I would recommend carrying out the experiment using a long rope so that the effect of turbulence will be minimal.

I hope this helps. Thanks Jeff Grell