NEWTON Home Page Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week NEWTON Teachers Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Referencing NEWTON Frequently Asked Questions About Ask A Scientist About NEWTON Education At Argonne Wooden Dowels on Kites

Name: Saleena
Country: Canada

Question:
What is the purpose of a wooden dowel on a kite?

Saleena

I am not sure what dowels you are talking about, but typical kites have two pieces of wood in them in the form of a cross to give the kite structure. The wood needs to be strong enough to resist the forces of the wind to collapse the kite yet light enough to not impede the kite?s ability to gain altitude. Here is a picture from Amazon.com of what I am calling a typical kite. You can see the support sticks in the back from the front:

To me, dowels are stronger than that used in standard kites shown above, but may be used in more complex kite structures like this provided the dowels are not too heavy:

This picture is from http://www.thompsontrio.com

Here is an interesting article about kites: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kite

Sincere regards, Mike Stewart

Hi Saleena,

Thanks for the question. A wooden dowel is a support for the sail of a kite. The dowel is lightweight and rigid which makes the kite sturdy and more resistant to damage by the wind. The wooden dowels form the frame of the kite which also is attached to the string.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have more questions. Thanks Jeff Grell