NEWTON Home Page Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week NEWTON Teachers Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Referencing NEWTON Frequently Asked Questions About Ask A Scientist About NEWTON Education At Argonne Capillary Action, Wicking, Geometry

Name: Chuck
Location: NY

Question:
I am trying to get a 1/8" diameter ceramic rod to wick better. It is 1.5 inch in length, ceramically bonded alumina, and has a rating of 20 microns (normal particle retention in water). My question is to try to get better capillary action for wicking. What would be best: A hole in the middle of the rod or 2 or 3 groves on the outside surface or use a 25 to 30- micron pore size?

Hi Chuck,

Thanks for the question. I would suspect that a pore size of 25-30 microns would work best for wicking, if there is no cement or adhesive that blocks the capillary flow. Alternatively, grooves on the outside surface would work. Additionally, surface treatments to increase hydrophilicity would also work.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have more questions. Thanks Jeff Grell