NEWTON Home Page Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week NEWTON Teachers Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Referencing NEWTON Frequently Asked Questions About Ask A Scientist About NEWTON Education At Argonne Load Cell and Food Portion

Name: Jinan 
Country: Lebanon

Question:
Hi, My students are designing a diet plate that contains a balance to measure the mass of each food portion, they know about the load cell microchip, but they are wondering if they can take the screen from its place to put it in a visible place, or if they can connect to it different screens for every food portion. They are also thinking of measuring the water, fat and proteins in a certain food. I would really appreciate your help.

Hi Jinan,

Thanks for the question. I have not heard of a microchip balance as you mention in your question. There are standard protocols for measuring the nutrient content of foods. I believe these are available on the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) web pages. Please note that some of the procedures involve equipment and techniques that can be done in a simpler manner.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have more questions. Thanks Jeff Grell

Hi Jinan,

As I understand your question, you want to find a way to remove the glass LCD screen that is an integral part of the digital balance, and locate the screen several centimeters away using some kind of extension cable.

Without seeing the actual balance and how the screen connects, it is hard to give an accurate answer.

However, based on my own experience in designing products that used an LCD screen, I suggest that what you want to do is simply not practical. The usual way that electrical connections are made to an LCD screen, is to use a so-called elastomeric conector. This is a custom-made connector made of alternating layers of conducting and non-conducting silicone rubber, that is clamped between the lower edge of the LCD's glass, and a printed circuit board.

You can see more details on now they work here..... http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&sqi=2&ved=0CDAQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.te.com%2Fcommerc

....and here....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elastomeric_connector

Needless to say, the use of this type of precision connector, requires high precision in the design of the housing that locates the connector against the LCD screen. This is not a type of connector that is practical for use in a "one-off" design.

Hope this helps. Regards, Bob Wilson