NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Imaging the Ocean Floor

Name: Brianna
Country: Australia

Question:
I am working on "Mapping the Ocean Floor" and I want to know how they map the ocean floor. What are the sensors that are used? How is a true map made when there are different temperature layers that change imaging?

Hi Brianna,

The main tool used to map the ocean floor, is sonar. Sound waves are sent downward, and when they hit the bottom, they echo back upward again and are received by the sonar device. Knowing the speed of sound in water, the time it takes for the echo to return tells the operator how deep the ocean is directly below. Sophisticated sonar devices actually show a map of the bottom as the ship passes over.

Temperature differences do influence the speed of sound in water slightly, and therefore do somewhat influence accuracy of the sonar readings. But this can partly be corrected by knowing the general temperature versus ocean depth in that part of the ocean. Regards,