NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Crude Oil in Swimming Pool
Name: Tony
Grade: Other
Location: FL

Question:
What (if anything) can I do if the oil from Deep Horizon is washed-up into my salt water pool which is ~3 NM inland? Either by a tropical storm or Hurricane. Would I use a detergent for clean-up? How bad would it effect the pool and its filtration system? I have no idea what to expect.

Other than skimming off the obvious pollutants, my suggestion is to "lay low" until the problem is under control. Reasons:

1. You do not know what to do.

2. The federal government and/or BP may have to do remediation for you (in the future).

3. If you try something, you may make matters worse, both from a remedial point of view and a legal point of view. This is not a very "scientific" answer, but science does not promise to resolve all problems.