NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne I-Beams
Name: Jasmine
Location: MS
Date: November 2007

Question:
Why are beams shaped like the letter I?

Hello,

The cross section of structural beams is shaped like the letter "I" to conserve material and reduce weight. When such a beam is laid across two column to support the roof of a building, as an example, it has the same weight carrying strength as a beam that has the same height as the "I" but a width equal to the widest width of the "I". So, by using an I-shaped cross-section instead of a rectangular one, one can save over 50% in material and weight.

Ali Khounsary, Ph.D.

I-beams are shaped like to letter I to maximize the moment of inertia. This maximizes its resistance to bending and deflection and is why I-beams are used in building construction as opposed to other beams with the same area. If the beam is only subject to bending about one axis the stress in the beam is inversely proportional to the moment of inertia (or more strictly speaking the "second moment of inertia").

David Kupperman

Hi Jasmine,

Imagine an ordinary bar of metal that has a rectangular cross section, being bent. The surface of the bar that is on the "inside" of the bend is subject to compression, and the surface of the bar that is on the "outside" of the bend is being stretched and therefore is in tension. Midway between these surfaces, is an imaginary plane inside the middle of the bar called the Neutral Plane. Here, the tension on the outside surface of the bend, and the compression on the inside surface of the bend, cancel out and there is no stress at all when the bar is bent.

Since the center area of the rectangular bar has little or no stress, and stress caused by bending mainly appears near the outer surfaces, there is no point in having all that material doing nothing near the center of a rectangular beam.

So as a result, an "I" shaped beam is used because it is much lighter than a rectangular beam, and just as strong. Another way to look at it is, that an "I" beam puts its material where it best resists bending, and does not waste material by placing it in the central area where it does little or no good.