NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Windmill Turning
Name: Roger F.
Grade: Other
Location: IA
Date: August 2007

Question:
Do the old farm type water pumping windmills such as an Aermotor Brand Model 702 turn out of the wind based on a gyroscope effect?

Roger -

If I understand your question, the answer is no.

Gyroscopic precession (what I think you are asking about) operates at a 90 degree angle to the applied force on a turning mass (a wheel, an aircraft propeller, or a windmill). If a windmill is turning and the wind changes direction causing the windmill to change the plane in which it is rotating, gyroscopic precession would cause the windmill to be pushed up or down (depending on the direction of rotation and the direction of the change). It is likely that the windmill would be constructed in such a way that the force would not cause motion.