NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Manufacturing Polarization Filters
Name: Miguel
Grade: Other
Location: NY
Date: April 2007

Question:
How are polarized filters made?

Hi Miguel,

Although I am familiar with the general principles of polarized filters (specifically the sheet polarizers known by the registered trade name of "Polaroid), I was not aware of the basic manufacturing methods of the various types of these materials. For a lot more detail that I can tell you, have a look here... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polaroid

The general principle is that a layer of long narrow crystals are laid down on a thin sheet of clear plastic, then the plastic sheet is stretched or otherwise stressed in one direction to align the crystals all in a single direction.

Bob Wilson.