NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Paint, Acrylic, and Aging
Name: Lisa

Question:
I am doing a project where I need to paint onto clear material. I would use glass but it is too heavy; I have tried some acrylics but the paint cracks over time. I have put the material once painted onto the acrylic and heated it at low temperature for 3 days in the oven at very low heat.

Is there any substance I can put onto the acrylic to help the paint stick and not crack off over time.

Is there any way to duplicate sun exposure and heat to see the effects of this process?

Why reproduce the sun?

What would be wrong to exposing to the sun, the issue usually is rain, but you should be able to monitor that action. The sun bleaches so the colors may fade. There are sprays that seal. Cracking is usually from bending, or the drying. Oil paints cracked from the drying of the oil. The bending means you have to attach to something like glass, plastic is lighter. Apparently you want to have a transparency so there is another option, take a picture of your final, the film being transparent, you lose something but now the problem is touching up. You might get so good effects. One normally not considered is to work on the reverse side, you get some 3Dish effects. The lesson from all this should be "always work backwards" work from the final, how will it be used, what do you want etc.

James Przewoznik