NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Cars, Dimples, and Air Resistance
Name: Dale
Location: AR 

Question:
If dimples on a golf ball make resistance less to air in flight, then why do cars have a smooth finish? If I had the little dimples on my car, would I get better fuel mileage due to less wind resistance? And where can I learn more about airflow over objects?

The aerodynamics of a golf ball and a car are very different, in size, shape and mode of flight. If your car were spinning at the rate that a golf ball does (scaled up of course!), dimples might help, but I doubt you would be able to appreciate the difference.

The dimples on a golf ball have gotten very sophisticated. The old 365 same depth and size have given way to more, of different shapes and depths. The result is one can get a ball for any desired characteristic. High flight, low flight, one to resist curving ( slices). In all likelihood the same could be done to a car, but one would think the effect would be small compared to everything else. The spoiler is added to keep the car low to the ground, but you see it is large. All the add-ons, like mirrors and handles, seams at the windows, all those items affect the wind resistance. The same goes for the shape and finish. The wind tunnel studies yield the possible benefit. Factor in the car's weight. I recently heard about the cheating in NASCAR. Apparently, years back Jr. Johnson had a car built to 7/8 size, all the parts etc. No one could tell why he was winning the races, but that small edge was big.

About finding information... Google. But sometimes engines like Ask Jeeves, do better with questions.

James Przewoznik