NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne XM Radio
Name: Karlos S.

Question:
What dose "XM" radio mean?

The "XM" does not mean anything. XM is a company that provides satellite radio at a frequency around 2.333 GHz. Other companies offering satellite radio include Sirius, near 2.325 GHZ, and and WorldSpace in the 1.5 GHz range.

The signals come from satellites orbiting in space. Urban areas, where buildings might block the signal, are helped by antennas put on towers.

Conventional radios use a radio wave that is either modulated in amplitude (AM radio) or modulated in frequency (FM radio). These signals come from antennas put on towers. The satellite radio broadcasts are all digital.

Bob Erck

XM is the trademark of one of the companies that provide satellite radios. The other main company is Sirius, which I have installed in my car. Each provides 120 or more channels covering a wide range of material (popular music, classical music, talk radio, news programs, country music, etc. )

The programs are generated on earth (naturally) and then beamed up to satellites which then rebroadcast them towards earth. I find the system works quite well except when one is under some cover. For example going through a tunnel or under a very wide bridge will interrupt the signal. The radio stores about 5 seconds of program, so the radio continues to play for about 5 seconds after the signal is interrupted. Conversely, the program remains interrupted for some 5 seconds after the satellite radio antenna has a clear view of the satellite. I am quite pleased with my system.

Best, Dick Plano