NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Touch and Radio Signal Intensity
Name: Deborah C.

Question:
What causes a radio to become clearer when I touch it or walk near it, and how can I remedy that? Is it polarized or magnetized?

You are acting as an antenna, bringing a stronger signal to the radio, especially when you touch it. I do not believe this is related to polarization or magnetization.

You could remedy this effect by installing an antenna which preferably extends above your house and brings in a strong signal.

Best, Dick Plano...