NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Paper From Algae Pulp
Name: Kelly V.
Date: July 2004

Question:
Dear Scientists We have a school science expo coming up. My friend and I noticed that the algae which my grandpa has thrown out of his pond has turned almost into like a dried paper pulp. We decided that we would try and make paper for the expo. Is there anything that we need to know and has anyone tried this before?

Sounds like an interesting project. There are a number of websites that give you step-by-step instructions on how to make paper at home. For

example: http://www.tappi.org/paperu/art_class/makingPaper.htm

The organization TAPPI may have kits for free or for a small fee. You can find others by searching Google using the search terms "making paper". In addition, making paper is a rather large crafts area. If you have any crafts and hobby shops in your area they will probably have, or can get you, paper making kits that you can adapt to your algae cellulose source. I think you have a winning project idea!!

At least one company has tried this. The internet provides some information. Algae is dried, finely ground, added to paper pulp and the mixture is made into paper.

Bob Erck

Sounds like an interesting project. There are a number of web sites that give you step-by-step instructions on how to make paper at home. For

The organization TAPPI may have kits for free or for a small fee. You can find others by searching Google using the search terms "making paper". In addition, making paper is a rather large crafts area. If you have any rafts and hobby shops in your area they will probably have, or can get you, paper making kits that you can adapt to your algae cellulose source. I think you have a winning project idea!!