NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Polarized Outlets
Name: Dennis G.
Date: June 2004

Question:
How long have polarized outlets/plugs been in use in the U.S.?

I regret that I do not know. This is a history of technology question and the answer might be found on the Internet.

Bob Erck

Dennis,

The two wire (nongrounded) receptacle is found only in older houses built before the mid-1960's in the United States. I hope that this is sufficient.

Sincerely,

Bob Trach