Department of Energy Argonne National Laboratory Office of Science NEWTON's Homepage NEWTON's Homepage
NEWTON, Ask A Scientist!
NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Erosional Velocity
Name: Jon J.
Status: Other
Age: 40s
Location: N/A
Country: N/A
Date: May 2004

What is the term for liquid that is shot hard enough so that erosion occurs?

I am not aware that there is any special term for such a liquid. A little background....water is often used for erosive cutting, and this is called water jet cutting. Cutting using only pressurized water is slower than if the water has an abrasive mixed in with it. The water-abrasive mixture may be called a slurry or suspension. Much information about water jet cutting can be found on the Internet.

Bob Erck

Click here to return to the Engineering Archives

NEWTON is an electronic community for Science, Math, and Computer Science K-12 Educators, sponsored and operated by Argonne National Laboratory's Educational Programs, Andrew Skipor, Ph.D., Head of Educational Programs.

For assistance with NEWTON contact a System Operator (, or at Argonne's Educational Programs

Educational Programs
Building 360
9700 S. Cass Ave.
Argonne, Illinois
60439-4845, USA
Update: June 2012
Weclome To Newton

Argonne National Laboratory