NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Air and Liquid PSI Ratings
Name: Michael N.
Date: March 2004

Question:
Is there a difference in the psi rating of a pipe for air as opposed to a liquid? ie. Will a pipe rated for 60 psi perform equally for air and water?

The 60 psi pressure rating is good for any fluid. The fluid may be water or compressed air. Please remember pressure is pressure, no matter what is exerting that pressure. I hope that this helps.

Sincerely,

Bob Trach

Michael,

My first response is to say that there is NO difference. Pressure is pressure. I can tell you that water is for the most very INCOMPRESSIBLE. While air is VERY COMPRESSIBLE. Of course, this is all going under the assumption that the liquid is a chemical that can be contained in the pipe or tubing. But to answer your question, I do not think there is a difference.

Darin Wagner

Air or water should not make any difference with respect to pressure. Other factors such as corrosion resistance may be different however, which could ultimately affect the pressure rating.

There is no difference in the rating for air or liquid when it comes to pipes. Pressure is pressure, whether it is liquid or water, so a pipe rated for 60 psi will perform equally for water or air.

Christopher Murphy, P.E.