NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Heat, not Electric Conductor
Name: Kai J.
Date: January 2004

Question:
Are there any materials in the world that can conduct heat but cannot conduct electricity?

Kai, I will take a stab at this one. Since I DO NOT know what your exact application is I do not know how helpful this will be. But DOW CORNING makes a good thermal grease which is primary function is to conduct heat away from electrical parts. However, I do believe is electrical conductivity is very poor. I hope this information will help you in whatever application you are working on.

-Darin Wagner

All substances conduct heat to a greater or lesser extent, since heat is the result of the vibrations of atoms and molecules in a more or less random fashion. The conduction of electricity (in simplest terms) is the motion of free electrons along the conductor.