NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Solar Energy and Spectrum
Name: Robert K.
Date: July 2003

Question:
Recently I became interested in solar power production. In looking into this type of energy production I became curious. If we can produce energy.

Infrared absorbing panels are already widely used. The reason that ultraviolet and shorter wavelength radiation isn't exploited is that not much reaches the surface of the earth. And to the extent that stars (the Sun) behave like "blackbodies" Planck's radiation equation predicts that the emission intensity drops of rather rapidly with decreasing wavelength.