NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Magnets and Electricity Generation
Name: Tricia L.
Date: June 2003

Question:
How are magnets used in a generator to produce electricity in power plants?

Tricia,

Generation of electricity is actually transfer of energy. I am sure you well know that the shaft of a generator rotates and transfers its mechanical energy into electrical energy.

Let me give you a brief background on how this energy is transferred and why the mere presence of the magnets is NOT ENOUGH to generate electricity. Of course the shaft needs to be moving as well. WHY?

Power, induced by a magnetic field can only be transferred if it is cyclical in nature (alternating current). Also, it should be pointed out the MAGNETS are held stationary and a COIL is "wrapped" around the shaft in such a way that when the shaft rotates, its position relative to the magnets rotates. THERE IS YOUR 'CYCLICAL' MAGNETIC FIELD. Remember, you can only have power generation by a TIME or POSITION varying magnetic field. In this case, it is a position varying magnetic field.

To put it another way, if you were to have a magnet in your hand and were able to move the magnet "fairly quickly" back and forth very closely to a coil of insulated copper wire, you will most certainly generate an EMF (voltage) across the terminals of that coil.

Now consider this: The stationary magnets and the rotating coil are NOT IN ANY SORT OF MECHANICAL CONTACT. But, if you were to attach a light bulb or some other appliance to this generator, the shaft will most certainly "feel" a mechanical resistance to it. If it did not create resistance to the shaft than you could, theoretically, power the entire planets power needs with one alternator from a car. Of course, you cannot since you would be violating the most important thermodynamic law, ENERGY CANNOT BE CREATED OR DESTROYED. It can only be transferred from one place to another. If E truly does equal mc(squared)..... E=mc^2 ... than perhaps I should rephrase my previous statement to read; NEITHER ENERGY NOR MATTER CAN TRULY BE DESTROYED only transferred, as governed by the above equation.

I hope this helps.
Darin Wagner