NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Geodesic and Strength
Name: Eric M.
Date: July 2003

Question:
You answered the question What is the strongest geometric figure: a triangle and a star. I always thought it was a geodesic dome? Is that wrong? A geodesic dome is like the Epcot Center's golf ball and is supposed to become the strongest structure if it is big enough.

I still stand by my statement (made over 10 years ago!!!!): I was always taught that the triangle was the strongest structure when it comes to design of structural members. Now, with that statement, you will also notice that the geodesic dome design incorporates a plethora of triangles to conform to its shape. I have read the other response to this question, and he makes the comment about 2d and 3d differences. Thus, the geodesic dome takes the triangle into a third dimension (if you will) to give it depth and height and give the triangle a load in all three planes, whereas a bridge tends to load the triangles in just one plane. A triangle is great for structural members because it gives you great strength for minimal material cost. Now, I am sure others will have a different opinion because of different applications. I do not think there is one "definite" answer to this issue because different applications can have different answers. The geodesic dome is a great struct! It gives a large volume of space for minimum material cost. Hope this helps.

Christopher Murphy, P.E.