NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Hover Craft Shopvac Size
Name: Scott
Date: April 2003

Question:
I am building a hover craft in the classroom, much like the one discussed on your web site. I was wondering how powerful of a Shopvac do I need to purchase to lift a 3-4 ft diameter hover craft? Thanks for your help.

I never got my shop vac to work here, but instead used a leaf blower. It had more uumph. Certainly the 1.5 HP shop vac's are too small, maybe the 4.5 HP ones? Keep a good seal between the air supply and the platform, and a good seal between the platform and the ground.

Steve Ross