NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Shaping EM Fields
Name: Marc S.
Date: October 2002

Question:
I am an architect, not even one of large high tech buildings, but of simple adobe houses. My own house is made of earth and timbers. It is round and has four columns within the walls. the ceiling is "Hogan style" which means that there are beams connecting the four columns, then four beams on top of those but rotated and joined ant the midpoint of the first set of beams. This rotating squares continue up seven levels.

There is a lot of recent and ongoing work in this area. You can tune in by searching the web (e.g., www.google.com) for the terms "photonic crystal" and "photonic band gap". There have been several articles -- one that I recall specifically addressing radio or microwaves -- in Science News. (See www.sciencenews.org)