NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Voltage and Efficiency
Name: Jerry B.
Date: May 2002

Question:
If all else is equal, (as it never is), is higher voltage more efficient than lower voltage? Power is lost according to R/I squared , I think, so higher voltage will lose less in transmission. Other than that, is a higher voltage motor more efficient?

Power is lost according to I*I*R, the current squared times the resistance it passes through. So its best to minimize the current. Since power is (simplified a bit) voltage * current, then if you wish to keep the power transfer the same, and drop the current, you must raise the voltage. Hence the high voltage lines which cross the country -- high voltage, low current, lower transmission losses.

The speed of an electricity really means the speed at which a wave of electric potential goes down a transmission line. This is fairly close to the speed of light (off by a constant factor, like 2/3, which has to do with the geometry of how the wires are strung, and is pretty similar for a lot of different wires, do not get caught up in this!)

You do not need to know any SR or GR for this statement, after all the starting point for SR is that the speed of light is a constant (in free space -- again it slows down in various media). All this is covered in "classical" electromagnetic field theory, worked out in the 1880's.

Steve Ross

If you transmit power at a rate of P watts, using a voltage V and a current I, then P = IV. If the transmission line has a resistance R, the power wasted heating the wires is IIR (I squared R losses). Plugging in the first equation gives waster power = (PPR)/(VV).

So to transmit power P over a line with resistance R, the power lost get reduced as the voltage is increased by 1/(VV), so as you say, less power is lost in transmission at higher voltages, which, of course, why long distance transmission lines are operated at very high voltages, often in excess of 1 million volts.

Motors are more complicated, since magnetic fields are proportional to the current, so high currents (or many turns of wire) are necessary

The speed of electricity does not change (much) as the voltage is increased. When you close a light switch, an electric field is set up through the wire and the light bulb at nearly the speed of light. However, the electrons whose motion constitutes the electric current move only very slowly in the direction the electric field pushes them, only about 0.0001 m/s! Electrons are mostly moving randomly inside the wire, similarly to gas molecules. Their random motion is at speeds average some 1.0E6 m/s (= 1,000,000 m/s).

What is S R and G R?

Feel free to send in your questions at any time! I hope you find my response helpful. Good luck with your education group!

Best, Dick Plano

Jerry,

I apologize in advance if my explanation sounds over simplified. But we try to write our responses such that they can be understood by as large an audience as possible.

Transmitting electrical power is done much more efficiently at higher voltages due to (I^2*R) losses. If you recall, Power = I^2*R. Lets compare two cases, A and B for transmitting power to a small residential community, at the rate of say, 1 MW. In other words, the generating station needs to supply whatever power it takes such that 1 MW arrives at the end user (compensating for I^2*R losses).

Case A: (1,000 Volt @ 1,000 Amperes) ---> Power = 1 MW (1 million watts)
Case B: (10,000 Volts @ 100 Amperes) ---> Power = 1 MW (1 million watts)
R = electrical resistance = 0.0001 Ohms / foot.
L = length of transmission line = 1 mile = 5280 feet.
Rt = total resistance = 0.528 Ohm

P(loss, CASE A): = (1,000 amperes)^2 * 5.28 Ohm = 0.528 MW
P(loss, CASE B): = (100 amperes)^2 * 5.28 Ohm = 0.00528 MW

Since Power loss is proportional to I^2, stepping up the voltage by a factor of 10 will reduce power losses by 10^2.

Psupply required (CASE A): 1.52800 MW (not reasonable)
Psupply required (CASE B): 1.00528 MW (more reasonable)

** MOTOR EFFICIENCY **

I dont have enough experience to answer your motor question, but I will guess. I would be willing to bet that a 120 V motor would be less efficient than a 240 V motor. I might be wrong though.

** ELECTRON VELOCITY **

I like your thinking. I believe this is where the analogy fails. To the best of my knowledge, voltage has very little role in electron propagation velocity. Velocity, however, is very dependent upon the type/configuration/thickness of the insulating dielectric. For a very rough estimate I believe electricity (the field) travels in the range of about 0.66 to 0.9 times the speed of light in a conductor.

-Darin Wagner

Your first question about the efficiency of transmission lines is outside my expertise. The bottom line is that electricity (alternating current) is transmitted at high voltage, so there must be some economies in doing so. I suspect the answer is more complicated than Ohm's Law.

Your second inquiry about the "speed of electric current" is also more complicated than it appears at first glance, because the "speed of the electric current" does not have a single definition. My search for an answer led me to the website: http://www.amasci.com/miscon/speed.html which discusses your question in some detail. Rather than paraphrasing that discussion I think going to that site would be more helpful to you.

Both of your questions are very good -- the answers, however, are not as simple as the questions!!!