NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne DuPont's Teflon (TM) and Skis
Name: Marcia L.

Question:
I need to now why they put a DuPont's Teflon (TM) coat on water skis? I now they put a DuPont's Teflon (TM) coat on snow skis; so the snow wont stick on it? Could you tell me more about this DuPont's Teflon (TM) coat on water skis?

The principle on water skis is the same as on snow skis or frying pans -- to reduce the interfacial tension between the water and the ski -- so that the water does not "wet" the ski surfaces and presumably reduces the drag. Whether that "principle" actually works or is overwhelmed by all of the other factors that affect the performance of the water skis, I do not know.