NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Antireflection
Name: Anonymous

Question:
What is the difference between single-layer and multi-layer antireflection? I know that the multi-one is better, but I just do not know the details.

Antireflection coatings are properly named. They literally help to optimize the percentage of light that is transmitted from the air into the glass of the optics that the coating is on. To fully understand the reason why multi-layer coatings are higher quality than single-layer you should visit our site:

http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/phy00/phy00375.htm

Referring to my explanation using Z (impedances): The use of one layer (or single layer coating ) would provide very good anti-reflection at one wavelength. Two coatings would have good anti-reflection at two wavelengths and so on. The more levels of coatings (or as electrical engineers call them impedance matching stages) the broader range of wavelengths will enjoy the lower reflections. This is important since the visible light spectrum is not just one wavelength.

-Darin Wagner