NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Transformer Marking
Name: John M.
Age: Old

Question:
I have a transformer that does not tell what type it is all it has is a long line with three short dashes under it.Can you tell me if it is AC or DC by this symbol.Thank you.

John

I am not an engineer, but I have been around a lot of transformers. I am not aware of a DC transformer. The changing flux of AC in the primary is required to induce a current in the secondary.

The closest thing to a DC transformer is a saturated core reactor. It uses a DC current to increase the density of the magnetic flux in the core thereby decreasing the loses to the AC signal impressed over the DC signal. A rather unusual situation and likely not yours.

I do not know your symbol, but it might be the electrical symbol for a transformer with a portion missing.