NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Rear Wheel Drive Vehicles
Name: George

Question:
Why are all expensive automobiles Rear Wheel Drive? All police departments use RWD vehicles. What's going on? Is a rear wheel drive vehicle safer and more stable to drive?

I seem to have a different opinion on this subject from most experts in that I prefer rear wheel drive when driving on slippery surfaces.

I grew up in Northern Wisconsin with plenty of icy roads and learned to enjoy "fishtailing" gently down a deserted road. If you turn gently to the left and step on the gas to spin the rear wheels, the car starts skidding down the road while pointing to its left. If you then steer (gently) to the right (in the direction the car is) going, the front wheels gain traction and you can either get out of the skid or oversteer and cause the car to swing in the other direction.

With front wheel drive, it is the front wheels which lose traction and so lose their ability to steer. You are helpless and the car continues to go in the direction it was going. If you are going around a curve, this is very bad! Since more of the weight of the car (perhaps 60%) is on the front wheels, a front wheel drive car is somewhat less likely to skid, but once it does, I believe it is harder to control.

Notice that all race cars are rear wheel drive (I believe) and usually skid around corners with their front wheels pointing in the direction they want to go as I described above.

(Don't try this at home!)

Best, Dick Plano...

Up-dated: July 2008
Improved traction and thus acceleration is certainly an advantage in RW drive vehicles, however another important factor is overall handling. Front-wheel drive vehicles simply don't handle well, primarily due to the poor weight distribution. In particular, they have a tendency to "understeer". This is widely known amongst sports car enthusiasts.

P. Bridges