NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Cast vs. Pressed Steel
Name: Aaron D.

Question:
What are the advantages and disadvantages of using cast aluminium or pressed steel in the base plate of a lawn mower?

Aaron D.,

Advantages of using a cast aluminum housing would be its light weight and non-rusting features. A disadvantage would be that aluminum housings on a lawnmower will sometimes develop stress cracks in high stress areas.

An advantage of using a pressed steel housing is its low cost to fabricate and durability. A disadvantage would be that it may rust and it is heavier than its aluminum counter part. I hope this gives you some food for thought.

Sincerely,

Bob Trach

Aluminum has the advantage of being lighter in weight and more resistant to rust and corrosion. However, it is also more expensive. If you're like me and only use the mower sporadically (much too sporadically, my neighbors would probably say), then the extra expense of a lightweight mower is probably not justified. On the other hand, if you plan to use it professionally and spend significant amounts of time pushing it around, then the weight savings may balance out the extra cost.

Andy Johnson

I am not sure what base plates you are talking about, but the advantage to using casted anything is that you can replicate numerous complex parts for a low price. By pressed steel, I assume you mean stamped or formed sheet metal or thin plates. The advantage there is the same as for castings -- cheap prices for complex parts if you make thousands to hundreds of thousands of the same thing. Another interpretation for "pressed steel" would be forged parts. Here, the parts will have great strength. Most hand tools are forged.

The biggest disadvantage for these methods is the initial cost for the tools--5 to 20 thousands a piece.

If I did not answer your question, just mail me more details to what you mean.

-Wil Lam