NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Fusion and Breeder Reactors
Name: Suzanne

Question:
What is the difference between a fusion reactor and a breeder reactor? What are the advantages and disadvantages of a breeder reactor? You do have something in your archives about this but it only explains a breeder reactor and that its a fission reactor. I'm asking about the difference between a fusion reactor and a breeder reactor, so it doesn't help me.

A breeder reactor is a particular sort of fission reactor that uses neutrons produced in the fission process to make new fuel--for example, to convert the stable isotope Uranium-238 into the radioactive isotope Plutonium-239. The advantage of a breeder reactor is that it produces fuel. A disadvantage is that the fuel produced can be used to make nuclear weapons, so it requires much greater security.

A fusion reactor produces energy by fusing light nuclei together, instead of splitting heavy nuclei apart.