NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Hologram TV
Name: Alex W.

Question:
There used to be an arcade game that utilized a literal hologram. A cowboy figure would stand in literal air, and shoot zombies or something. I saw on the discovery channel how it worked: the image was bounced off a curved mirror in such a way that the light entering each of my eyes would be at a different angle. Can I hope to see a literal 3D TV based on this technology in the next decade?

Does not sound like a hologram to me. The essential feature of a hologram is diffraction.